Rector: The Rev. Nancy Kin
Location: 1249 Third St,
Rensselaer, NY 12144
Telephone: (518) 650-8181
Homepage: Church of the Redeemer
Church of the Redeemer, Rensselaer, has roots that go back to the 1700s when the congregation would row across the Hudson to attend church at the fort’s chapel in Albany. In 1853, The Church of the Messiah was founded by Dr. Van Rensselaer and neighbors in what was then Greenbush. Messiah grew and in 1871 they established a mission church, Church of the Epiphany, in Rensselaer. Both churches thrived and grew within the community. Then in 1961, The Church of the Epiphany was lost to fire. The two churches merged as The Church of the Redeemer and opened in 1963. Today, the small but determined congregation is doing the Lord’s work and serving the community through a few needed ministries.